Thursday, March 21, 2019

More Tales from the Hallway


Everyone who reads my blog and a lot of my FB posts, knows that I have a very “active” hallway. It seems to be a pathway for roaming spirits, although we don’t know why. Those of us who have experienced it, though, are all agreed that the (dead) folks who traipse along it travel from west to east for almost the entire length of it before slipping away. We have no idea where they go: if they followed the hall to the very end, they’d wind up in my bedroom (YIKES). If they take a left, they would be in my grandson’s room (sometimes I think that happens). If they take a left but use the second door on the immediate right, they’d enter my daughter’s. I don’t think that happens, either. But I’m not sure they actually make it all the way to the bedrooms. They definitely make their presence known around the bathroom, though. Maybe one day I’ll know why.

In the meantime, they remain active. Some of them, I think, are reminding me that I have writing to do. Nags.

But others, well…

About fifteen minutes after dinner, my grandson will come into the kitchen in search of dessert. That usually means rummaging around in the freezer and pulling out an ice cream cone (the mint ice cream ones are his favorite). Now, our freezer is at the top of the refrigerator, and he’s just a little shorter than the door, but he can reach. And when you’re getting something out of that freezer, you’re facing our laundry room, which is the west end of our dead people’s path. Well, the other night as he was digging around for his treat he said “Oh!” and stopped. Then after a moment, he resumed.

I was at the sink and I heard his exclamation and saw him pause. “What?” I asked him. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

I know him better than that. “No, really. What’s up?”
           
“I thought I saw something.”
           
“Like what?”
           
“Like a foot. In the doorway.”
           
“Like someone about to come into the kitchen?”

“Yeah, like that. But it’s gone now.” He got his ice cream cone and left.

I turned to the laundry room and said, “Please stop scaring my grandson.”

Although I don’t think that anyone was purposely trying to scare my grandson. I think he just spotted someone on the way in and they both startled each other.

A few days later, I was folding laundry when I heard a child’s voice. I couldn’t understand the words, but it was definitely a child speaking, and it definitely sounded like it came from one of the other rooms along the north side of our house, where the back yard is. I stopped and listened, but didn’t hear it again. It startled me a little, especially since it sounded like a school-aged child and we’re not at spring break yet. Also, there really aren’t any kids in this neighborhood. But I shrugged it off and finished folding the clothes.

Later that same afternoon, my daughter and I were catching up on one of my recorded Dead Files episodes, and just like her son, at one point she startled and paused the show.

“What?” I asked.

“Did you just hear or see some kids?” she asked. “I could have sworn I heard them. And I thought I saw about three or four of the, playing in our yard.”

That was a surprise. “I didn’t hear them this time, but I heard a child’s voice earlier. Back by my room.”

“Huh.” She said. “I thought I saw them, too, but they’re gone now.” She leaned back and hit the “play” button on the remote so we could go on with the show.

So. No rhyme or reason for what pops into this house and then finds its way back out again. Just thought I’d share the latest goings-on here, at the house with the active hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment