Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Graceful Endings


I write a series. In fact, I write a serial series, since reading the Bridgeton Park Cemetery books in order is a good idea in order to make sense of everything. And since I write a series/serial, I pay a great deal of attention to 1) how long other authors keep their own series going and 2) how they end it, if they choose to end it.

Everyone who knows me knows that there are particular series I read. There are the Davenport and Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford, there is the Sigma series by James Rollins, and then there is the Reacher series by Lee Child. There are a few others, too, like the Cotton Malone books from Steve Berry, and the Pendergast novels from Douglas Preston and Lee Child. I once saw John Sandford speak at an author signing, and he said he would never kill off his Davenport character, which I was greatly happy to hear. I never feel the same about a series if I know it ends with a character’s death. (Ask me if I ever read Curtain, Agatha Christie’s finale for Hercule Poirot. Uh, that would be “no.”)

But I have read series that have come to decent conclusions. Harry Potter comes to mind. So do the Sookie Stackhouse books. I like the Stackhouse books so much that I couldn’t watch the show True Blood. That aside, both JK Rowling and Charlaine Harris did an amazing job in bringing their stories to completion. And as far as Harry P goes, well, his universe has sprouted legs and is continuing on with different characters anyway.  

There are also series that have continued despite the original author stepping away. James Bond is a great example of that. I know Raymond Benson, the first writer approved by the Fleming estate to continue with 007’s adventures. He’s a terrific writer and I’m not surprised that he got the nod to do it. I think Sherlock Holmes has continued in various incarnations. And I know Tony Hillerman’s legacy is being continued by his daughter. But here’s my personal heartbreaker: I read recently that Lee Child is stepping away from Jack Reacher and turning the entire enterprise over to his brother, who is also a writer. That means that the last Jack Reacher book I read –just finished, actually- is the last genuine Reacher book as written by his creator. I will give Mr. Child’s brother a chance and see what he does. Who knows? I hope the new books are wonderful. But boy, he’s got big shoes to fill.

Keeping a series going, or ending it, is a pretty dicey enterprise. I know there have been screen and TV adaptations that fans were not thrilled with. Mention the last show of Game of Thrones to most of its fans and then stand back so you don’t get splashed with the vitriol that will spout forth. Ask a random Star Wars fan about The Rise of Skywalker. And then there’s The Terminator series…

I am not writing this because I am contemplating ending Bridgeton Park. But I do keep an eye on how the writers I admire ply their talents to bring their characters where they want them to go, whether that means continuing on, or ringing the final bell at the end of numerous accounts and adventures. And like most fans, I feel sad when a series I love comes to an end. As a writer, I understand why this would happen and why a writer might feel the need to finish. As Willy Wonka said, “I can’t go on forever. And I really don’t want to.” Or something to that effect. So I totally understand the need to draw something to a close. At least, I do as a writer. But as a reader and a fan? No matter how gracefully the end comes, I am totally saddened when it does.

PS - Not to cause any confusion: This was the working title/cover for book three, the one that eventually became Drawing Vengeance. Thought I'd share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment